[Zope-dev] Playing with DateTime

spinwing@inwind.it spinwing@inwind.it
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:53:45 +0100

Ola Juan

I think that, while on one side is very comfortable to recycle others code, there should have been a very good reason for DC to develop that class. I had the impression that the class is heavily used in the internals of Zope, and probably the integration of an external module would mean a major redesign issue. Always in my opinion, in the long run automaintained code can be easier to leverage and adapt. In the end, if the original developer does not support the code anymore or change it in a way that is not possible to upgrade, DC will have major problems.

The idea of developing an internal class is, for me, a good point. However, I think that DC did not approached the international subject simply because, as far as I understood, Zope was build on the American market. While they should be terribly proud of the magnificent product thay have done, in future they will be facing more and more the problem of other countries using it.

This is why I am looking to fix the DateTime class starting from their code. This problem will occur also for the formatting of values, for instance. As far as I have seen, when you ask Zope to return a number formatted as currency, you get it in dollars, with the "." and "," used where central europeans put them the other way around.

I do not know if DC or somebody else is already approaching this issue, and I admit that I have looked around but I haven't found anything about this, but I am pretty sure that the european developers like me and you which are trying to find a RAD for the internet, will find Zope as one of the best products, and the spread of it will sooner or later raise more and more problems on this side.

I was asking this on the ml because I am considering proposing a project on this, but I wanted to be sure that this was not already been done somewhere else

Best regards
Stefano Vedovelli

Hello,

IMHO the long term solution would be to use the mxDateTime [1]
module instead of the DateTime module that currently uses Zope.

best regards,
jdavid

[1] http://www.lemburg.com/files/python/mxDateTime.html