[Zope-dev] Comment on CVS change of default textindex search operator

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:10:44 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Casey Duncan wrote:
> > It's so broken with OR for large datasets that the search results are
> > virtually meaningless.  We see this first-hand on Zope.org (which is now
> > ANDed after an upgrade) and in most of our consulting projects.
> >
> > I strongly agree that there should be an easy way to switch textindex
> > default queries between OR and AND on a per-index basis.
> >

> I'd even be happy with a per catalog basis.

Likewise.  But this is the can of worms I alluded to.  Another
approach would be to allow the default operator to be specified at
query time <grin>.

My main concern, though, is having a major behavior change happen
with a release upgrade.  I think this is OK as long as it is clearly
documented and there is a way to get the old behavior back; in
which case a per-catalog setting is sufficient.

Whether the default should be AND or OR is still a point of debate, though,
and one I have no clue how to resolve.

--RDM