[Zope-dev] SiteAccess improvements

Christian Scholz cs@comlounge.net
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:27:31 +0100

Hi!

> I haven't been very deep down into site access things, mainly because I get
> confused each time I try to set up a SiteRoot. :-)
> So it may be that some of the features I'd like are already availiable, but
> that I just didn't know. :-)
>
> Anyway, this is what I would like:
>
> The virtual hosts of Zope is managed from the Control Panel and not from
> several objects in several directories. This would mean that if you enter
> incorrect information, you don't have to reboot the server with
> SUPPRESS_SITEROOT=1 set in the environment to fix the stupid errors you
> made, you just go into the Control  Panel and fix it.It also means that a
> customer of a web hotel can't fiddle around with his own SiteRoot. God eh?
> :-) This Control Panel thingy should also have a possibility to turn on and
> off individual virtual host mappings without removing the settings, as well
> as a global on/off.

Basically this is possible using our VirtualSiteRoot Product, which can be
found at

http://www.zope.org/Members/comlounge/

It does not actually install the config in the control panel but in the parent
directory. It also lets you setup different roots for management and public access.
So it's e.g. possible to use the management screens via https:// and the public
access is still working via http://.
Also included is some plugin mechanism e.g. for automatically inserting session
ids in the URL.

cheers,
  Christian

--