[Zope-dev] Re: ZMI / JavaScript brainstorm

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 08:54:46 +0100

"Charles Y. Choi" wrote:

> With ZMI, you can create different methods/objects and then edit them.
> The problem is that pretty much every other editor out there doesn't
> know a whit about the types of objects/methods they are creating.
> Does emacs really know the difference between a python method,
> dtml-method, dtml-document, and a page template?  Not likely.

*grinz* You never heard of a PUT_factory? You can (and I do) do this in Zope 2
already.
Think about it, how does Windoze know the difference between a Photoshop file
and a Windows Bitmap?
Zope 2 is even clever than this, I have logic that says if the first character
in a thing is a # then create a PythonScript from it...

As for EMACS, it certainly knows about python (M-x python-mode), and there's
HTML mode for page templates. If you wanna use DTML, you deserve to burn in hell
anyway, so you ain't gonna need an editor ;-)

cheers,

Chris