[Zope-dev] Zope components and revision control with cvs

Gary Poster gary@modernsongs.com
01 Aug 2002 19:44:15 -0400

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 15:04, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> There are a few products on zope.org for integrating with CVS.  Look
> through the downloadable products.  I think there are CVSFolder and
> ZCVSFile (or something like that), maybe more.
>
> However, most version control tools are difficult to integrate into
> applications in a platform-neutral way.  To integrate with CVS, for
> example, Zope spawns a CVS client, but the CVS client runs with the
> privileges of the Zope process rather than the user's privileges.  It
> works but it's not very clean.
>
> Subversion, however, gives us a new opportunity.  The first alpha has
> been released.  Communicating with a Subversion repository involves
> HTTP, WebDAV, and DeltaV--all documented, open standards.  So Zope could
> talk to a Subversion repository in a very transparent, well-integrated
> way.  Anyone out there looking to write a nice, useful product for Zope?
>   A Zope->Subversion adapter would be a great choice. :-)
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org
>
> Shane

Hi Shane.  I've been thinking about Zope versioning, and I also did a
bit of list searches for past discussions on this general topic.  One
problem that seems pertinent to really any external-to-zope versioning
system, including Subversion, is dealing with non-folder object
managers.  If you want to manage the contents of these special object
managers individually in your versioning system, you're running into
some trouble, some parts of which seem insurmountable to me at the
moment (from my admittedly limited knowledge ;-).

I find myself agreeing with earlier posters (earlier as in 2001--Paul,
for one, I think) who said that Zope itself might need to support full
versioning, a la DeltaV or somesuch, itself.  This makes sense to me,
but I didn't find any historical documents on zope.org as to progress or
as to reasons for abandonment of this approach.

What's the deal?  Would this be a huge effort, or is it definitively
problematic for a reason I don't see, or is it stalled for some other
reason?

Thanks

Gary