[Zope-dev] A Modest Proposal Concerning Monkey Patches

Adrian Hungate adrian@haqa.co.uk
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:46:41 +0100

> Again, monkey patching doesn't modify source code, so I don't know
> what would be getting written into tmp.
>
> > Comments?
>
> Didn't someone else make a proposal (with code) to handle this?
> Was it PatchKit?

Yup, and it is more than a proposal, it is a full blown product (
http://www.zope.org/Members/haqa/PatchKit ) with some patches already in it
(They can be removed if you wish).

There is a fledgling API, though I probably need to document it better, make
some unit tests etc, but it is there, and it works (For me... YMMV).

> But yes, some "standard" would be helpful, possibly with supporting
> utilities, to allow multiple monkeypatches coexist, I think.
>
> On the other hand, in Zope3 you just change the zcml files...although
> I think there was a discusion of an analogous issue there (coexistence
> of multiple "modifications" to the same area) and I'm not sure
> a conclusion was reached (but I can't remember for sure).

Adrian...

--
Adrian Hungate
EMail: adrian@haqa.co.uk