[Zope-dev] Zope Binary Release Changes for Zope 2.6

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@hbcse.tifr.res.in
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:08:31 +0530

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 10:57:14AM -0400, Matthew T. Kromer wrote:
> Zope is currently released in three binary formats:
>
>    Windows - i386
>
>     Solaris 2.6 - SPARC
>
>     Linux RH 5.2 - i386
>
> All binary releases come with python 2.1.3, built without large file
> support.
>
> We are proposing to change the binary distributions to newer releases,
> at least on the Solaris and Linux platforms.
>
> The new Solaris binary would be Solaris 2.8.
>
> The new Linux binary would be RedHat 7.2 based (i.e. glibc 2.1).
>
> It is very likely that the supplied Pythons would be built with large
> file support *enabled* for these platform, unless some unforseen
> compatibility issue arose.

Is it difficult to make the GNU/Linux binary distro independent?  All
the binaries that I have been using from the Zope site work to the
best of my knowledge on distros.  Why mention Redhat specailly?  I
work on Debian Woody 3.0, and the python 2.1 is compiled with large file
system support.

Nagarjuna