[Zope-dev] Browser Stop Button and Zope REQUESTs

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:21:33 +0200

Steve Alexander wrote:
> Oliver Bleutgen wrote:
>
> Although Zope has a "response stream" method of sending information back
> to the client, most things in Zope don't use it.
>
> Instead, the response information is aggregated, converted into a
> string, and then sent back all at once at the sucessful completion of
> the transaction.

Well, then it may be difficult to get zope to behave like the "other"
systems, right?

> These other systems you mention are using the availability of a response
> stream as a surrogate for RESPONSE.isClientConnected(). I'd rather have
> an explicit RESPONSE.isClientConnected().

This is not correct. The systems I mentioned do also have the
possibility to check if the client is still connected, it's just that
they additionally prevent writing to a response which will never get
delivered. This is quite reasonable IMO.

> Although, it would make sense to raise an exception if someone tried to
> write to the Zope response stream, in the rare cases when this does happen.

I know we are talking about extreme cases here. But the behavior of java
and mod_perl may prevent the whole system from falling over on a loaded
server. This is made worse by the relative small number of threads which
are running on a stock zope.

cheers,
oliver