[Zope-dev] Slow zope on windows 2000?

Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:57:16 +0100

On Wednesday 28 Aug 2002 6:46 pm, Casey Duncan wrote:

> One other difference is classically due to a more efficient select
> mechanism on Unix than Windows (ala asyncore), making multitasking more
> efficient on *nix. However, I don't know if that's true anymore post-NT=
4.

Yes, thats still true. select is the native Unix way of handling asynchro=
nous=20
IO, but on Win32 select is a compatability layer provided for posix=20
compatability, and to make it easy to port unix network services to windo=
ws.

Win32's native concurrency and asynchronous IO capabilities are in many w=
ays=20
superior to the posix select. They are top of my list of things I regret=20
leaving behind since moving my recent development from windows to linux.