[Zope-dev] Potential Improvements for xml-rpc debugging

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:10:56 -0400

I am working on improved xml-rpc fault output because I find the current=20
output from Zope less than useful.

Basically what my version does is strip the html tags from the error valu=
e=20
returned from Zope/standard_error_message, formats it in a simple way=20
(basically justs trims line breaks down) and then generates a formatted=20
traceback (if you are in debug mode) as the xml-rpc fault string. If you=20
aren't in debug mode then it just outputs the error type and the formatte=
d=20
value as the fault string.

Now my question is whether this is a good thing in general. I like it=20
especially when accessing Zope using Python's xmlrpclib, but do any of ha=
ve=20
reasons for keeping the html tags in the fault string?

Thought I would ask before I check this in.

-Casey