[Zope-dev] Re: large files and --pymalloc on the new release? (was Re: no more SIG11 ...)

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:42:58 -0500

Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:

> Will the binary Linux release include large file support?
> In other words, can I have a > 2G Data.fs?

Hmmm.. I dont think the Zope 2.5b4 Linux binary is built this way, but
in both Zope 2.4.4 and 2.5.0 it probably should be.  We'd probably need
someone to confirm that this doesn't cause problems on older (2.0, 2.2)
Linux systems.  FWIW, I built Python 2.1.2 with large file support on
Linux 2.4 using the instructions on the posix-largefiles doc page in the
Python docs without a problem.

> Also, what about the --pymalloc? Is the binary Zope Python going to be
> compiled with it? should I still fear it?

Dunno.  Was it compiled in before?  Isn't this an issue that is solved
in a roundabout way by not having stack pointer computation bugs in the
first place?  I'm not sure how all of these bugs interact with each other.

> We almost lost a big client and almost got a lawsuit because we were
> bitten by both (or would that be three: RestrictedCompiler, ceval and
> --pymalloc?) bugs at the same time and took a long time to figure out
> how to work around them.

Sorry to hear that.

- C