[Zope-dev] Crash & Burn with Zope 2.6.0a1 and ZEO 2.0a1

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:10:12 -0400

  JPS> We have Python on FreeBSD, installed via the ports system.  Is
  JPS> there a way to tell if a given version of Python has large file
  JPS> support built in via the interpreter (ie - is there a magic
  JPS> flag in os|posix that can be checked?).

The best thing to do is "import test.test_largefile" which will run
all the large file tests.  There's no magic flag or status attribute
available.

  JPS> The machine is serving as a ZEO server to clients in various
  JPS> data centers.  It had a 1.5 Gigabyte Data.fs as of last night
  JPS> (prior to packing).  I want to make sure we don't run into an
  JPS> overwritten Data.fs situation.

If there is only a single server, then you shouldn't run into the
overwritten data.fs problem.  Either the server will fail when it hits
2GB, because it doesn't have LFS, or it will not fail, because it does
have LFS.  The overwrite would only occur if you changed the Python
binary from one that did have LFS to one that didn't have LFS.
(Perhaps by moving the file to a different machine with a different
binary.)

Jeremy