[Zope-dev] more on the segfault saga

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 07:09:33 -0500

On Tuesday, March 12, 2002, at 05:08 PM, Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:

> Matthew, thanks for taking the time to gdb the beast with me. Did you
> come up with any instrumentation I should add to Python or Zope to get
> what it is that Python is trying to resease twice? If you want, I can
> arrange a MySQL-less period during production so that we can capture the
> crash in a cleaner environment.

Sorry, I only dug out what I had and made THAT work; it was a
single-thread profiler.  It will require some modding to turn it into a
useful debug tool instead, and I've been busy with other things.

> Speaking of instrumentation, since the gremlin seems to be threading
> related (it stops with '-t 1'), it might be useful to serialize certain
> parts of the execution path with semaphors, like the path to the
> restoration or the execution of PythonScripts, the path to the execution
> of SQL queries, etc. this means running with small locks in certain
> sections instead of the big '-t 1' lock (which is not really a lock, but
> you get the picture :-).

Well, if you have the energy to try serializing some of of the base
parts of the code, by all means, go ahead.   I can't even begin to guess
where the problem is though.