[Zope-dev] more on the segfault saga

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leo@hiper.com.br
13 Mar 2002 12:40:22 -0300

On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 09:09, Matthew T. Kromer wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 12, 2002, at 05:08 PM, Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:
> >

> > Matthew, thanks for taking the time to gdb the beast with me. Did you
> > come up with any instrumentation I should add to Python or Zope to get
> > what it is that Python is trying to resease twice? If you want, I can
> > arrange a MySQL-less period during production so that we can capture the
> > crash in a cleaner environment.
>
> Sorry, I only dug out what I had and made THAT work; it was a
> single-thread profiler.  It will require some modding to turn it into a
> useful debug tool instead, and I've been busy with other things.

What about patching Python to report the freed objects like you
mentioned on IRC? Also, how about turning on some flags in
gc.seg_debug()? Do you think we might be able to glance something by
seeing what objects where logged as freed or by storing them in
gc.garbage?

> > Speaking of instrumentation, since the gremlin seems to be threading
> > related (it stops with '-t 1'), it might be useful to serialize certain
> > parts of the execution path with semaphors [...]
>
> Well, if you have the energy to try serializing some of of the base
> parts of the code, by all means, go ahead. I can't even begin to guess
> where the problem is though.

Well, I have the energy, I just don't know where to start. But it's
beginning to look like I'll just have to roll up my sleeves and dive in
C code to hunt this beast down. And to think that I'd chosen Python as
my official programming language to avoid just that... :-)

--
Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like
solitary confinement.