[Zope-dev] What catalog/index to use ...

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 01:44:08 +0100

Hi!

Currently there are at least three options for doing full text indexing with
ZCatalog:

- good old TextIndex
- ZCTextIndex
- TextIndexNG

TextIndex basically works fine for me and handles German umlauts well (if
you use the right locale settings in the Zope start skript), but ZCTextIndex
is generally better, except that it does not handle umlauts correctly as far
as I can see. So without a bug fix ZCTextIndex is good for US, but not for
us ;-)

Then there is Andreas Jung's TextIndexNG, which seems to be really
impressive.

What are the plans for Zope 2.6.x/2.7? Will ZCTextIndex be replaced by
TextIndexNG?

Does it make sense to get ZCTextIndex fixed (there seems to be a patch in
the collector already) or should I go with TextIndexNG? If yes, is it ready
for production environments?

Cheers

Joachim

Joachim Werner