[Zope-dev] Re: What catalog/index to use ...

Maik Jablonski maik.jablonski@uni-bielefeld.de
Sat, 09 Nov 2002 14:52:22 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>The problem seems to be that ZCTextIndex indeed does not do the
>>splitting "right" if German Umlauts are used. There is no option for
>>"Unicode-aware splitter".  Instead of a Vocabulary it uses a
>>Lexicon, which just offers two options: "HTML aware splitter" and
>>"Whitespace splitter". I haven't tested the whitespace splitter yet,
>>but the HTML aware splitter did not do the Umlaut thing right
>>without the patch, i.e. it used umlauts as splitting characters ...
>

> That's just what the default ZMI interface for ZCTextIndex offers.
> It's easy to add your own splitter by writing a few lines of Python
> code.  RTSL.

of course everyone can write his own Splitter... one for german, one for
french,
etc.pp. but what is the problem with the patch? is pythons-regexp (?L)
not just intended for this simple way of "localizing" software?

and think of the european market:

no one will "buy" Zope, if it is not working with your native language
out of the box. and that's what the patch for...

cheers, maik
--
Maik Jablonski                 __o
www.zfl.uni-bielefeld.de     _ \<_    Deutsche Zope User Group