[Zope-dev] Re: What catalog/index to use ...

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sat, 09 Nov 2002 09:33:14 -0500

> >>The problem seems to be that ZCTextIndex indeed does not do the
> >>splitting "right" if German Umlauts are used. There is no option for
> >>"Unicode-aware splitter".  Instead of a Vocabulary it uses a
> >>Lexicon, which just offers two options: "HTML aware splitter" and
> >>"Whitespace splitter". I haven't tested the whitespace splitter yet,
> >>but the HTML aware splitter did not do the Umlaut thing right
> >>without the patch, i.e. it used umlauts as splitting characters ...
> >
> > That's just what the default ZMI interface for ZCTextIndex offers.
> > It's easy to add your own splitter by writing a few lines of Python
> > code.  RTSL.
>
> of course everyone can write his own Splitter... one for german, one
> for french, etc.pp. but what is the problem with the patch? is
> pythons-regexp (?L) not just intended for this simple way of
> "localizing" software?
>
> and think of the european market:
>
> no one will "buy" Zope, if it is not working with your native language
> out of the box. and that's what the patch for...

I must've missed the start of this thread (I only just signed up for
this list).  I didn't see any patch -- I thought it was just a gripe
about ZCTextIndex.  Of course patches are welcome -- where can I find
this particular patch?