[Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope-dev] Moving forward with Zope 2.7

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:47:34 -0500

> I gather from reading other posts that this is a different format than
> Zope 3's ZCML.  Would it be worth it to at least make some sort of
> 'ZCML Lite' to do this sort of configuration?  The main thing I'm
> concerned about is that there's a whole new Zope coming down the road
> that depends heavily on configuration files, and it might make sense to
> start weaning people onto its general syntax if Zope 2's finally going
> to have a config file.

There was a conscious decision to have two different "configuration"
language: ZCML for *software* configuration, and ZConfig for *process*
configuration.  A sysop is not expected to have to edit ZCML, but she
will definitely have to edit the ZConfig file.  Since XML is not
designed for routine editing/reading by humans (its
"human-readability" is a debugging feature), ZConfig uses a more
readable format.  It's documented in the ZConfig CVS tree.

Yes, http://www.zope.com/Products/ZopeProducts/ZRS