[Zope-dev] Zope RPMs/debs and Linux FHS

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:50:29 -0400

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 06:28:37PM -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working towards a unified Zope configuration and installation
> system on a branch of Zope named the 'chrism-install-branch'.
>
> I have given the buildout process on that branch the ability to create
> an RPM distribution of Zope.  I intend later to give the buildout
> process the ability to create Debian .debs as well and maybe Solaris
> packages...  I am doing this with the expectation that we might be able
> to provide RPM and .deb distros of Zope from zope.org instead of our
> current "generic Linux as tarball" distro.  I haven't looked yet at the
> Debian packaging of Zope (by Gregor Hoffleit), but I intend to do that
> next to get some more ideas.

I will be honest here.  I don't care a lot about how the debian files
are packaged, or where.  But I do not want to see two sets of debs with
differing layouts.  I would rather that either Chris become an official
debian maintainer and take over zope (and thereby upload it to the
normal repositories), or that he leave debian packaging to Gregor, or
whoever succeeds him.  There is no reason that zope.org cannot have a
short paragraph or two on installing zope under debian, which points
people to the normal repositories; or alternatively, there is no reason
that zope.org cannot mirror debian's zope and related packages.

Jim Penny