FHS, zopectl, #925, Re: [Zope-dev] 2.7 installation

Jean Jordaan jean@upfrontsystems.co.za
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:39:11 +0200

>>I think the default Zope install should not have dependencies other
>>than that Python is required and the user has some shell system
>>(bash/sh/MS batchfiles).
>
> ... and aap apparently ;)

I'm thinking that ZC needs a more capable make replacement. That
isn't quite the topic of this thread, but Aap (eg.) would be cool
already if it was just used by ZC to manage their checkout/builds,
and was available as option for outsiders to use. The releases
needn't have a new dependency.

> It's based on the winning design for
> software construction tools (ie. "make" replacement) in the Software
> Carpentry contest

Yes, like Roundup :)

> It's certainly been around for longer than aap :)

I'd bet that Bram has been brooding on Aap for a long time, and he
certainly has masses of experience managing complex build environments,
with Vim compiling on about a million architectures with or without
myriads of compilation options, language bindings, GUI toolkits, etc.

>>, and is more stable than 0.14 alpha
>
> I note with a grin that up until this month aap was at release 0.150 :)

That's the hundred and fiftieth release, ne :)

--
Jean Jordaan (using WindowMaker 0.80.2)
http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za