[Zope-dev] Zope Financials

alan alan at balclutha.org
Thu Oct 16 12:34:20 EDT 2003

I know that you are all focused upon content management systems here at
Zope/Plone - and with good reason.

However, our community has a dearth of commercial products and Java
offerings like Compere ERP, and JBOSS are stealing a march in this arena.

I've made an initial attempt to redress this by applying the Zope
architecture to a general ledger product, BastionLedger, and to an
embryonic financials gateway, BastionBanking.  I've seen a couple of
other Zope products dealing with banking, and would like to somehow
coordinate our efforts.

This is a very serious initiative, and I've put almost a year's personal
work and finance into this product and associated infrastructure.

Now, I'd like to see some serious collaboration to get a fantastically
fully featured ledger available for Zope clients.  What I've delivered
so far is quite good in terms of basic functionality and a rich toolkit
from which to develop accountancy processes - but payroll systems for
example have an abundance of nuances and exceptions and needs much more
resource than I have available.

In order to overwhelm the world with this stuff, I think we need to
start very small.  If YOU are a contracter - have your own business, or
you've got a Plone site for a club or society, how about getting on
board and helping to get the ledger to meet your financial requirements.
  The general ledger and order management/inventory control already
support large-scale use.

These products are available for comment and download at
http://www.last-bastion.net/BastionLedger and
http://www.last-bastion.net/BastionBanking.  There is much more
information there about exactly what they do and what my current
thoughts on this initiative are.   Please feel free to discuss them with
me on or off this list, or on their own lists.

I look forward to some interest.

Alan