[Zope-dev] Re: Nightly Zope 3 Binary Compiles for WIndows

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Apr 25 07:10:48 EDT 2004

Chris Withers wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>> FYI, there's a similar zip file now containing the same kind of thing
>>> for a
>>> current Zope3 checkout (s/Zope2/Zope3/ in the URL).
>>>
>>> If this is good enough for people trying to work from CVS on Windows,
>>> let me
>>> know and I'll update them from time to time, and maybe move them to a
>>> saner
>>> location.  If it's not good enough, sorry, but I don't anticipate having
>>> enough time to do more than this (which is just a trivial zip+upload
>>> step
>>> beyond the builds I have to do anyway).
>>

>> Thanks Tim.
>

> Hi Guys,
>
> Saw my name mentioned earlier but not sure whether Tim has solved the
> problem...
>
> I'd be happy to set up a nightly (or weekly, let me know which would be
> better) scheduled task (see, it's Widnows, there is no Cron, although
> Schedules Tasks do have a much nicer UI ;-) ) that checked out he latest
> HEAD of Zope 3, compiled it and PUT it up to my Zope.org member area

I think that would be super.  Nightly would be best.

 > (I
> suspect the slowest part of this process will actually be uploading it
> to Zope.org - what's the plan to fix zope.org speed suckage? how about
> workflow suckage?)

Do you have to go through all of that? Couldn't you put it up as a zip
file, using ZMI, rather than CMF API's?

> Would it be helpful to get the nightly Windows tests running again? I
> stopped as a corollory of setting up my own company, but also because of
> lack of perceived support from people who could fix Windows problems

I think making the binaries available will widen the pool of people
who could fix windows problems.

 > and the lack of caring of developers who only developed for Linux and broke
> stuff on Windows... has any of that changed?

Don't confuse "caring" with "time" and "priorities".  I care about having
Zope 3 run on Windows, and Mac OS X, and other platforms.  I don't have time
to do that though.  I think it would be appropriate for others to help by working
on windows and Mac OS X (etc.) issues.

Jim