[Zope-dev] Re: [Plone-developers] Re: Five and 2.9

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jun 15 13:18:58 EDT 2004

alan runyan wrote:
>>>Alan, does that address your concerns?

> One of the big questions that I believe is open is how to
> use more of zope.app in Zope 2 - specifically Schema/Widgets.  I heard
> that Zope Corp. is using this in some projects.

I think we should not be squeemish about using zope.app. Widgets are
the main reason that we are using Zope 3 in Zope 2. I would like
to see most of the widget code get lifted up out of zope.app. This is
of general interest (not just z2).

> So - I asked if people to do some CMF/Plone implementation of Views
> in certain aspects.  I am up for creating a Supplement to Plone to bolts on
> some of the technologies and uses it.  Maybe specifically using it for
> doing in-place versioning.  I urge the communities to use Plone or maybe a
> fork of it (or the CMF) to be a playground.  Like Idle forked to land some
> major features for Python.  Then it can be integrated back into subsequent
> projects.

I'll note that there is an opportinuty for CMF-based systems
that might not be interesting to Five. Specifically, the obvious fact
that the mechanisms in the CMF are similar to those in Zope 3.  It
should be possible to create a new kind of CMF layer that does view
lookup.

Jim