[Zope-dev] Re: [ZODB-Dev] Re: BTrees strangeness (was Zope 2.X BIG Session problems - blocker - our site dies - need help of experience Zope developer, please)

Steve Jibson stevej at parlant.com
Tue May 18 10:18:29 EDT 2004

Good morning.

I just got in and checked on my customer's system.  In the past 22 1/2
hours they've had 15000 page hits and last night at about 9:30, ONE
person got a KeyError.  Actually, this same person got twenty KeyErrors
over a period of about 45 seconds.  I'm downloading their log files now
and plan to spend some time this morning going through them.

Anyway, it appears that I was wrong when I said that the problem doesn't
show up when I use FileStorage (although it does seem to happen less
frequently -- but who can be sure of anything at this point?).

In answer to your questions earlier, Chris, we set up the user session
at login time because we make the user answer some questions at login
time that determine which portions of the interface to present to
him/her.  For example, using the same login id and password, a user may
choose to login as an administrator or as a normal user.  We store this
choice and other info based on this choice in the session.  Also, we
don't rely on the browser to time out the authentication cookie.  Once a
user authenticates with ExUserFolder, ExUserFolder keeps their
credentials in a cache until they have been inactive for 10 minutes (the
timer resets with each cache hit).  If their credentials are not in the
cache, rather than looking them up again, the user is logged out and
must re-authenticate.  It seems like a reasonable way to handle logins
and sessions.

In addition to going through log files, I will spend some more time
today making sure we're not doing something stupid in our app.

Thanks again (to Chris, Michael, Alex and everyone else who has lost
sleep over this session stuff).  I'll keep you posted on any new
information I find.

Steve