[Zope-dev] Zope threads on 2.7.0, python 2.3.3

Heimo Laukkanen huima at iki.fi
Wed May 26 02:54:34 EDT 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004 08:44:44 +0200, Dario Lopez-Kästen
<dario at ita.chalmers.se> wrote:

> We use a lot of queries (minimum 10-15) for each request, accros around
> 7 DA connected to various Oracle schemas. Most of the queries are
> fairsly simple, but there are a couple of queries that are often used
> that are just plain bad, however they are so bad that it is very
> difficult to fix them.

Ok. In our case we use very simple queries, but this stupid code generates
a lot of those. One thing to do is to throw away stupidity and Archetypes
tsorage layer that is an bad idea - and put object to flush and read it's
data from the oracle only when actually necessary.

> Chris withers has done some work in improving DCOracle2's connections
> and general bug-fixning. If you haven't used it, grab the latest
> DCOracle2 from cvs - it is much better.

We did take it from CVS. Has there been much work on lately?

> We see this behaviour mostly under heavy load - many users accessing the
> database all the time. Using the latest DCOracle and improving parts of
> our code has removed a lot of the problems, however it believe it is
> still unclcear what the problem is - in our setting, my stance is that
> we have only cured the symptoms, not the real problems...

Sounds familiar.

>> Have you tried cx_Oracle?
>>
> No I was not aware that they had a Zope adaptor.

Well Dieter and others suggested that it should be doable to to write
adaptor based on any python db api compliant adaptor - either using
DCOracle, psycopg or similar as base. However since I've never done that
kind of work before I am reluctant to take the step and be bitten, hence
the question if you have had more courage.

--
-huima