[Zope-dev] Re: Python2.4 and Zope 2.7

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Sun Oct 17 17:59:45 EDT 2004

Matt Hamilton wrote:
> chrism wrote:
>
>> FWIW, the fact that you get the error at that point means that
>> cDocumentTemplate can't be imported (it's using pDocumentTemplate, which
>> nobody uses since it's a "fallback").  This is probably the root of the
>> problem.  I suspect pDocumentTemplate would give the same error on any
>> platform.  I would start investigating why cDocumentTemplate fails to
>> import.
>

> Doh!  I bet it is because I have copied over the install from one of our
> other servers, and the C components will have been compiled with py2.3,
> and hence probably not imported successfully into py2.4.
>
> Before I realised this I did a fresh install, using Zope 2.7.3b2 and
> py2.4a3 and after I got all the modules I needed recompiled for py2.4
> (PIL, GD, 4Suite, etc.) I started Zope and is still crashed with a Bus
> Error.  Which was what I was getting with py2.3 on FreeBSD/AMD64.  So it
> looks like it just gets a little further with py2.4, but there are still
> problems.  I'll try and get the recursion limit a bit lower and see if
> that helps it get through.

Are  you sure that you have applied whatever patch is required to give
Python a big enough stack on FreeBSD (Hmm, I foresee a new spam topic,
"Enlarge your Python's Stack!  Make your Zope beg for mercy!" ;)

Strange crashes reproducible only on *BSD should be checked first
against this one:

   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-February/148277.html

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com