[Zope-dev] Python2.4 and Zope 2.7

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 11:27:36 EDT 2004

[Andreas Jung]
> Zope 2.7.3 + Python 2.4 fails when running the unittests:
>
> EETraceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/develop/sandboxes/Zope-2_7-branch/Zope/lib/python/ZEO/tests/zeoserver.py", line 216, in ?
>    main()
>  File "/develop/sandboxes/Zope-2_7-branch/Zope/lib/python/ZEO/tests/zeoserver.py", line 212, in main
>    ThreadedAsync.LoopCallback.loop()
>  File "/develop/sandboxes/Zope-2_7-branch/Zope/lib/python/ThreadedAsync/LoopCallback.py", line 156, in loop
>    poll_fun(timeout, map)
>  File "/develop/sandboxes/Zope-2_7-branch/Zope/lib/python/ThreadedAsync/LoopCallback.py", line 108, in poll
>    r, w, e = select.select(r, w, e, timeout)
> select.error: (9, 'Bad file descriptor')

So it does.  On Windows the error msg is a bit different:

select.error: (10038, 'An operation was attempted on something that is
not a socket')

Looks like these come out of two related tests:

    testNOK (ZEO.tests.testAuth.PlainTextAuth)
    testNOK (ZEO.tests.testAuth.DigestAuth)

Curiously, the same tests pass on Zope 2.8 trunk under 2.4, and in
Zope3 under 2.4.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what those tests do.  Possibly relevant
is that 2.4's asyncore is less tolerant of leaving garbage in its
socket_map (like closed sockets).

One other thing to note:  a lot of deprecation warnings about
importing whrandom.  That module has been officially deprecated for
years (although the warning is new in 2.4) -- it's high time to stop
importing it.