[Zope-dev] RFC: Proposed backward-compatibility policy

Santi Camps scamps at earcon.com
Wed Oct 27 12:13:59 EDT 2004

En/na Jim Fulton ha escrit:

> Chris McDonough wrote:
>
>> This sounds good.  I would add perhaps the concept of a 'smoke test'
>> application for backwards compatibility testing.
>>
>> For Zope 2, the smoke test might be Plone or another large app written
>> on top of it.
>>
>> Maybe someone involved in Zope 2 release management would volunteer to
>> run the "smoke test app" unit tests on each proposed Zope 2 release.  If
>> the unit tests didn't pass, it would block the release until the issue
>> was resolved.  I think Andreas does this in a sort of ad-hoc way with
>> Plone now but not sure.
>>
>> Same for Zope 3, I just don't know what the smoke test app would be.
>

> I'd actually like to set up a public buildbot server somewhere that
> we could automatcally test 3rd-party applications with.  We could
> then test a variety of applications.  ZC doesn't really have the
> human bandwidth to manage another machine in the zope.org cluster.
>
> Would anybody be willing to run a buildbot server?  We (Fred :)
> can help set it up, as we've done that here in F12g.
>
> If we can get the server going, then we'd also need volunteers to
> run buildbot slaves.
>
> Jim

Hi,

I also think the Policy you propose will be a goal.

We have no resources to run a bulidbot server.   Moreover, nowadays we
haven't enought human resources to develop on zope head (I really hope
this can change in a near future).  So, our products are susceptible to
break between Zope releases.

What I can just ensure is we will test our products with every beta
release of Zope (or alpha release, if any) as soon as possible, in order
to detect and try to solve problems before final releases.

Regards

Santi Camps
http://www.earcon.com