[Zope-dev] version.txt [was: make sdist]

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Dec 6 02:32:35 EST 2005

Andreas Jung wrote:
> make sdist:
>
> ajung at sentinel:~/sandboxes/Zope-2.9/2.9.0b1: make sdist
> zpkg -C /develop/sandboxes/Zope-2.9/2.9.0b1/releases/Zope2.cfg
> 'version.txt' doesn't match any files in <collection>
> (in /develop/sandboxes/Zope-2.9/2.9.0b1/lib/python/zope/app/PACKAGE.cfg)
> ----
> temporary files are in /tmp/zpkg-50vtPj
> make: *** [sdist] Error 1

This is a very recent problem and a result of Jim's inconsistent handling of the
"version.txt" matter yesterday. http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/MakingARelease says that
zope.app/version.txt should be created on a tag and zope.app/PACKAGE.cfg should also be
modified to include version.txt *on the tag*. Jim did the latter on the Zope 3.2 branch.

The Zope 2.9 externals currently point to the Zope 3.2 branch which references version.txt
in PACKAGE.cfg but doesn't have one. Only the 3.2.0beta1 tag has it. I think that

  a) zope.app/PACKAGE.cfg should not mention version.txt when there isn't one, meaning on
the branch

  b) Zope 2.9 externals should now point to the Zope 3.2.0beta1 tag.

By the way, this issue reminds me: We haven't figured out how to handle Zope 2's
version.txt at all! I totally forgot about it. Zope 2 expects a version.txt in
Zope/lib/python, but zpkg has no way to support a data file that isn't in a Python
package. So there would be no way to package it nor to install it (I don't think
distutils knows how to install a non-package-related datafile either).

I propose that the future place for Zope 2's version.txt is the Zope2 package. Some code
inside Zope 2 that reads version info from version.txt would have to be changed for that,
though. This should be fixed for the 2.9 beta, meaning today. I'm outside svn+ssh access
range right now, so either you do it, Andreas, or you wait until I'm at home in about 5
hours.

Philipp