[Zope-dev] Re: version.txt [was: make sdist]

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Dec 6 08:20:09 EST 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Andreas Jung wrote:
>
>>make sdist:
>>
>>ajung at sentinel:~/sandboxes/Zope-2.9/2.9.0b1: make sdist
>>zpkg -C /develop/sandboxes/Zope-2.9/2.9.0b1/releases/Zope2.cfg
>>'version.txt' doesn't match any files in <collection>
>>(in /develop/sandboxes/Zope-2.9/2.9.0b1/lib/python/zope/app/PACKAGE.cfg)
>>----
>>temporary files are in /tmp/zpkg-50vtPj
>>make: *** [sdist] Error 1
>

> This is a very recent problem and a result of Jim's inconsistent handling of the
> "version.txt" matter yesterday. http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/MakingARelease says that
> zope.app/version.txt should be created on a tag and zope.app/PACKAGE.cfg should also be
> modified to include version.txt *on the tag*. Jim did the latter on the Zope 3.2 branch.

Yeah, I was trying to minimize the amount of work done on a tag. It didn't occur to
me that this would affect Z2. :(  In the future, we need to come up with a better way
to handle this.

> The Zope 2.9 externals currently point to the Zope 3.2 branch which references version.txt
> in PACKAGE.cfg but doesn't have one. Only the 3.2.0beta1 tag has it. I think that
>
>   a) zope.app/PACKAGE.cfg should not mention version.txt when there isn't one, meaning on
> the branch
>
>   b) Zope 2.9 externals should now point to the Zope 3.2.0beta1 tag.

I guess this would solve the problem, since the tag does have a version.txt.

> By the way, this issue reminds me: We haven't figured out how to handle Zope 2's
> version.txt at all! I totally forgot about it. Zope 2 expects a version.txt in
> Zope/lib/python, but zpkg has no way to support a data file that isn't in a Python
> package.

And there's the fact that this is a file that really *should* be generated by
the release process.

 > So there would be no way to package it nor to install it (I don't think
> distutils knows how to install a non-package-related datafile either).
>
> I propose that the future place for Zope 2's version.txt is the Zope2 package. Some code
> inside Zope 2 that reads version info from version.txt would have to be changed for that,
> though.  This should be fixed for the 2.9 beta, meaning today. I'm outside svn+ssh access
> range right now, so either you do it, Andreas, or you wait until I'm at home in about 5
> hours.

I agree, this should be doen for this release.

Jim