[Zope-dev] ZCatalog and Zope 2.8

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Jan 30 13:17:31 EST 2005

Andreas Jung wrote at 2005-1-30 15:30 +0100:
>Outstanding issues:
>
> - some indexes show the number of indexed objects vs the number of indexes
>terms
>    within the ZMI which is totally inconsistent. I think the ZMI should
>show the number
>    of indexed objects. Index specific information e.g. the number of
>indexed terms
>    should be shown within the indexes default view (if necessary).
>Objections?

This was already discussed (--> mailing list archives).

I (and others) find it more informative to get a feeling about
the size of the index (rather than the number of indexed objects)
in the overview.

> - Indexes derived from UnIndex also store informations about objects
>although they do
>    not index useful information.
>    An optimised
>version of UnIndex would
>    store only  values evaluating to non-zero.

It would essentially change the "number of indexed objects" (and
make it a bit more informative when one is interested in the size
of the index) ;-)

You must be a bit careful with the "non-zero".
Some indexes interpret (some) zero values in a special way, e.g.
"DateRangeIndex". It interprets "None" as "no limit".

However, I agree with you: at least when an object "o" does not
define a value for index "i", then "i" should not index "o".

I would also prefer when "None" would consistently means:
I do not have a value (in the current context).
But, this will interfere with some indexes.

--
Dieter