[Zope-dev] ZCatalog and Zope 2.8

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Mon Jan 31 12:50:43 EST 2005

--On Sonntag, 30. Januar 2005 19:17 Uhr +0100 Dieter Maurer
<dieter at handshake.de> wrote:

>> - some indexes show the number of indexed objects vs the number of
>> indexes  terms
>>    within the ZMI which is totally inconsistent. I think the ZMI should
>> show the number
>>    of indexed objects. Index specific information e.g. the number of
>> indexed terms
>>    should be shown within the indexes default view (if necessary).
>> Objections?
>
> This was already discussed (--> mailing list archives).
>
> I (and others) find it more informative to get a feeling about
> the size of the index (rather than the number of indexed objects)
> in the overview.

There are two points of view: the "normal" user is confused if some indexes
show up the number of indexed objects and others show the size of the index
within the same column. This should be consistent. If would prefer the
number
of indexed objects within the default ZMI view and put index specific size
information into their own default view.

>> - Indexes derived from UnIndex also store informations about objects
>> although they do
>>    not index useful information.
>>    An optimised
>> version of UnIndex would
>>    store only  values evaluating to non-zero.
>
> It would essentially change the "number of indexed objects" (and
> make it a bit more informative when one is interested in the size
> of the index) ;-)

right.

> You must be a bit careful with the "non-zero".
> Some indexes interpret (some) zero values in a special way, e.g.
> "DateRangeIndex". It interprets "None" as "no limit".

Yes, but DateRangeIndexes overwrite index_object() so that a change
of UnIndex itself would not harm.

> I would also prefer when "None" would consistently means:
> I do not have a value (in the current context).
> But, this will interfere with some indexes.

"None" could be a problem with other indexes...at least there should be
a unique marker saying: I have nothing of interest to be indexed....

Andreas