[Zope-dev] Re: RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the source code repository

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Nov 23 21:08:59 EST 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Stephan Richter wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 November 2005 10:16, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> >
> >>Sounds crazy, I know. But I'm serious. Looking for your comments at:
> >>http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ReuniteZope2AndZope3InTheSourceCodeRepository
> >
> > I am -1. If I could I would veto this proposal. Here is why:
> >
> > To be totally honest, I really, really don't care about Zope 2!
>
> I'll debate with you this reason. I don't think that this changes your
> dislike of merging the repositories and this argument is on a side-track
> and not intended to convince you of this.
>
> What my point is here is that your attitude about Zope 2 is wrong: as a
> pure-play Zope 3 developer you *should* care about Zope 2.
>
> Some of us have been doing quite a bit of work of bringing Zope 3 to the
> Zope 2 world. I believe that at least partially as a result of this,
> Zope 3 is getting a lot more attention from Zope 2 developers. I think
> that this attention is extremely valuable to the Zope 3 project. There
> is an awful lot of experience, skills and knowledge in the Zope 2 world
> that is immensely valuable to Zope 3 developers. We *don't* have a full
> respresentation of these extremely valuable perspectives in the Zope 3
> development community right now.
>
> If Zope 2 developers get the impression that core Zope 3 developers
> don't give a shit about Zope 2, they may not be so likely to actually
> come on board. That would be a disastrous development indeed. We really
> need an increased connection between the Zope 2 world and the Zope 3 world.

I couldn't have said it better, Martijn. Stephan might not care about the Zope 2 codebase
(frankly, I'm mostly with him on that, which is why I'm working to improve it), but let's
not forget that Zope 3 is currently actively managed by only 10 or so people. Everytime we
make a release there are heroic efforts involved, mostly by Stephan himself. How long are
we supposed to continue like this? Like Martijn, I strongly believe reuniting efforts
will eventually mean *more* resources for Zope 3, not less (this is also a point where I
disagre with Gary).

As Martin pointed out with his own example, the reunification will tremendously lower the
bar for more Zope 3 contributors which, given the time and resources other projects have
and are willing to spend on the framework (e.g. thanks to Goldegg), should not be
ignored. To give you another, much better example: Florent recently brought Zope 3 events
ot Zope 2 and made a great effort in doing so. In return, this work now made him think
about improving the Zope 3 object event hiearchy, the post to the zope3-dev list was even
sent today. What better example of an improvement of Zope 3 due to Zope 2 integration can
there be?

Philipp