[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the source code repository

Andrew Sawyers andrew at sawdog.com
Thu Nov 24 12:54:51 EST 2005

On 11/24/05 8:54 AM, "Chris McDonough" <chrism at plope.com> wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2005, at 8:37 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> I recall a slightly different discussion I was involved in. I
>> remember Zope 2 core developers worrying about the inclusion of
>> Five in Zope 2.8; they were worried they'd need to maintain its
>> codebase.
>
> I was one of these people.  Since then, I've completely changed my
> mind; it was a pure win.
>
> - C

As was I.  Five has brought me and a few others I know closer to Zope 3.
This is a huge win.  Many of us have lots of experience to bring to the
benefit of the Z3 community.  As a result, I am excited to take even more
strides to Z3.  Phillips goal is a good one.  The challenge is if there is
resistance, how to smooth the bridge.  Rather then Z3 developers shoot it
down outright, they should provide reasonable alternatives (other then
doomsday scenarios).

It is a good thing to bring more developers into the Z3 community, many of
us Z2 developers are hungry for this.  I don't know the answer for every
developer on either side of this argument, but there must be an effective
compromise out there.  The two groups need to work to come to that solution
and not alienate one or the other or blindly shoot it down and hope it will
go away.  It's unreasonable to do so.

Taking my ball and heading homely,
Andrew