[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope-Checkins] SVN: Zope/trunk/lib/python/Shared/DC/ZRDB/ Collector #556: sqlvar now returns 'null' rather than 'None'.

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Mon Oct 10 10:24:08 EDT 2005

--On 10. Oktober 2005 11:03:54 -0300 Sidnei da Silva
<sidnei at enfoldsystems.com> wrote:

> If I'm allowed to say anything, I would like to see gadfly being
> replaced by sqlite. It's available mostly everywhere except in Windows
> by default, as many products already use it. sqlite itself is 'public
> domain' and the python da has the same license as zlib if i recall,
> which is very permissive as well.

IMO there is no need to ship the Zope core  with *any* DB package except
the ZODB. From the maintenance point of view  we should basically ship with
packages that  we really need and that provide value to the core
distribution. In Zope 2.6 we included Docutils with provided
reStructuredText functionality. Updating and maintaining the package has
been a minor pain in the past. Dealing with exploits in 3rd-party-packages
(as it happened yesterday
with Docutils) is another issue. The core distribution should only ship
with packages where we have a certain amount of expertise to deal with such
issues. I assume nobody of us is a sqlite core developer and knows the
sources. Otherwise we end up like Plone and ship with more 3rd-party
packages from release to release.

-aj