[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.9.4

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 15:21:20 EDT 2006

[Andreas Jung]
> I think we should make another internal ZODB release. The current
> svn:externals for the ZODB (and other modules) use a revision number
> instead of a tag. This reminds me of some former discussion whether to use
> revision numbers or tags...what was the result of this discussion. I am
> very much in favor of using tag names...revision number tell you
> nothing...provide at least a reasonable version information...opinions?

The things people complain about sometimes astonish me -- just as the
things I complain about sometimes astonish others :-)

I used tags for ZODB until I gave in to complaints about that, and
switched to using revision numbers.  The real complaint about using a
tagged external is that when the tag changes, SVN isn't smart enough
to do an incremental update.  Instead, when you update after an
external tag changes:

- It wholly deletes you current checkout of the external.
  If non-version-controlled files (like .pyc) happen to be sitting in
  the directories, this leaves behind useless "OLD" directories.

- It does a complete checkout of the new tag.
  This generally takes more time.
  And forces a recompile too even if no C code in the external has
  actually changed,

It's true that changing an external revision number instead suffers
none of those drawbacks.    Like I cared ;-)