[Zope-dev] Re: OFS.Application deprecations for Zope 2.10

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Mon Jun 12 06:57:48 EDT 2006

Hi Chris!

Chris McDonough wrote:
> Jusst out of curiosity, what is the rationale for deprecating "methods"?

It has been deprecated for at least 6 years now, I just added the
warnings last year.

I don't know the old discussions, but the comments added here make
pretty clear that initialize() was meant to replace
'__ac_permissions__', 'meta_types' and 'methods':
http://svn.zope.org/Zope/trunk/lib/python/OFS/Application.py?r1=18170&r2=18185

I guess 'methods' was never meant to be used for something else than
factory methods.

As Florent already pointed out using it for general monkey patching
doesn't look like a good idea. We only can improve the product
initialization if we first remove some cruft.

Cheers,

	Yuppie