[Zope-dev] Re: Time-based releases a good idea?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Jun 14 13:24:09 EDT 2006

On Jun 14, 2006, at 1:09 PM, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> On 6/14/06, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> wrote:
>> There are problems with the deprecation period, but only for
>> __ac_permissions__ and meta_types assuming we choose not to deprecate
>> 'methods'.
>
> The problem in this case being that we didn't use to issue deprecation
> warnings. ;)

Yup, can't change history.

> In any case, I personally don't care if it's removed in 2.10 or 2.11.
>
>> But since we decided (in another offshoot of this thread) that it
>> only makes sense to deprecate things in .0 releases, what *should*
>> happen is that we should forget about all of this and add "will
>> disappear in 2.12" to what will become 2.10.0.
>
> I don't understand that logic. Zope 2.9.0 issued deprecation warnings
> for these. Why should we not remove it in 2.11.0? That is two major
> versions later.

You're right, sorry.  I didn't realize the deprecations made it into
2.9.0; I thought they went in to 2.8.5+ and 2.9.1+ .  Removing these
in 2.11.0 is fine then.

The 2.9 branch's deprecation warnings will continue to will say that
all of these things will be removed in 2.10, which will be a lie.
But that's OK, people will tolerate misleading deprecation warnings
as long as what we do is actually more conservative than what it says
we're going to do.

- C