[Zope-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/branches/ajung-zpt-end-game/lib/python/Products/PageTemplates/tests/testZopePageTemplate.py A recent fix in the zope 3 traversing code now requires the ITraversable

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Tue May 30 12:25:03 EDT 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

>>The CMF (and Plone on top of it) work *fine* as they are today for
>>completely empty expressions.  Reverting the BBB-incompatible cahnge,
>>and adding deprecation warnings, is our standard practice here.
>

> Yes, for changes that ripped out well-understood and well-supported
> features. I don't know whether we have a standard practice for cases
> like this, but there's definitely a straight-forward practice: fix the
> CMF :).

Not acceptable:  the whole purpose of a BBB policy is to allow people
sanity when upgrading:  *first* you upgrade the lower layers, then you
fix the deprecated stuff in the higher layers.

>>The "empty element" (as opposed to "empty expression", which is what CMF
>>/ Plone use) hasn't worked in qute a while, AFAICT.
>>'unrestrictedTraverse' raises a KeyError in both 2.8 and 2.9.

>>Yes, but you can't break the CMF in a release without doing the
>>deprecation dance first.
>

> Or we could simply fix the CMF. It would have to be done at some point
> anyways, only that if we do it now it limits the effort. To provide
> proper BBB for weird behaviour that doesn't even have a good use case is
> a much larger effort. CMF bugfix releases could be on their way before
> Zope 2.10 hits even final.

It is still wrong to require people to upgrade a higher-layer because of
a needless BBB foul in Zope.  We can arrange to do the Right Thing (TM)
fairly eaiily:  I'm attaching a patch which does that.

>>They I guess we should update the external for Five on the branch, and
>>verify?
>

> No, because Five was branched off too. But all that should be history
> now, anyways, because I merged everything to the trunk and removed the
> ZPT branches.

Those tests still break when run against the Zope trunk.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com