[Zope-dev] Re: Future of ZClasses

Olavo Santos lists at varkala.net
Mon Oct 2 01:11:48 EDT 2006

From: "Philipp von Weitershausen" <philipp at weitershausen.de>
Sent: Saturday, 30 de September de 2006 18:56

    Hello.

>>> I see no problem in making the "ZClasses" a separate svn.zope.org
>>> project, for example. That way they're not hindering Zope 2 core
>>> releases but could still be maintained (e.g. by volunteers like
>>> apparently yourself, Dieter :)) and shipped as an optional egg, for
>>> example.

    +1

>> I think we should really make ZClasses available as separate package
>> in Zope 2.11 since the current code seems to be borked for some ppl
>> and because we dropped already some code (ZClasses distribution
>> related staff). So moving ZClasses out of the Zope core is clear
>> sign for any user: don't use ZClasses.
>>
>> Objections?

    Just a quick side note.

    Many "deprecation sign for any user" are clearly signs that Zope
developers are unable to maintain certain Zope features. This is bad,
specially for guys that have to manage large, complex and long time running
zope installations ( think years ). And a "no sir, next app!" for guys like
us who have to choose opensource development platforms for the long run (
again: think years ).

    BTW, ZClasses don't work as expected on 2.9.x.

    http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/2005

     "I'm punting to Jim, as he had better knowledge of how the persistent
interfaces / specifications were supposed to work."

    :-)

Best regards,

@239, Nbk

P.s. - Let's get back to zclasses -> python classes code week. %-)