[Zope-dev] Release schedule for Zope 2.11/3.4?

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Sep 12 07:06:05 EDT 2006

Andreas Jung wrote:
> --On 12. September 2006 12:28:10 +0200 Martijn Faassen
> <faassen at infrae.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> Anyway, if the main thing holding up *this* release is bugfixes, doing a
>> new release in 3 months shouldn't be a problem, as after all, we've
>> already fixed those bugs this time around. :)
>
> 3 month for a new release cycle is just too short. We should not follow the
> IMO broken concept of "release early, release often" but to follow "release
> regular, release solid". At least me I refuse to release something just
> for the sake of making a release at a certain date.

The goal is not release early, release often, but to get back to our
regular release schedule. After all, we already had 3 months to add code
to Zope 2 and Zope 3 trunk that will be included in the next release, as
I believe they branched at the time.

Could you explain the reasons for the coming 3 months being too short in
this particular case? What features are we adding to Zope 2 or Zope 3
that make it too short and thus would result in a not-solid-enough release?

I think the egg-story is one candidate for being too big, and a possible
reason to shift the release schedule. Then again, we do not need the egg
story to land in the upcoming release anyway.

Regards,

Martijn