[Zope-dev] Release schedule for Zope 2.11/3.4?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Tue Sep 12 07:19:21 EDT 2006

--On 12. September 2006 13:06:05 +0200 Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com>
wrote:

> Andreas Jung wrote:
>> --On 12. September 2006 12:28:10 +0200 Martijn Faassen
>> <faassen at infrae.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>>> Anyway, if the main thing holding up *this* release is bugfixes, doing a
>>> new release in 3 months shouldn't be a problem, as after all, we've
>>> already fixed those bugs this time around. :)
>>
>> 3 month for a new release cycle is just too short. We should not follow
>> the IMO broken concept of "release early, release often" but to follow
>> "release regular, release solid". At least me I refuse to release
>> something just  for the sake of making a release at a certain date.

The current CHANGES.txt from the trunk just lists one new feature (added
by myself). That's does not deserve a major release.

> The goal is not release early, release often, but to get back to our
> regular release schedule. After all, we already had 3 months to add code
> to Zope 2 and Zope 3 trunk that will be included in the next release, as
> I believe they branched at the time.

Not much happened during the three month or I did I miss something?

> Could you explain the reasons for the coming 3 months being too short in
> this particular case? What features are we adding to Zope 2 or Zope 3
> that make it too short and thus would result in a not-solid-enough
> release?

We just don't have nothing new right now.

Another point with this whole half-yr release cycle: we're going to confuse
more and more professional users about which Zope version to use for what.
I've heard from my major customer but also from other ppl. IN December we
would have *three* maintained versions 2.9, 2.10 and 2.11. We definitely
can't deprecate Zope 2.9 in December because this version is required
by Plone 2.5. Plone 2.5 was just released and ppl just start to migrate
from Plone 2.1 to Plone 2.5. We have the burden  maintain Zope 2.9 for the
mid-future. So my personal impression right now is: we're flooding the
community with new major releases and the community does not adapt those
releases. My theory: a major part of the ppl running Zope are running
Plone.
on top of Zope...so with have to deal with this fact somehow.

Andreas

Web: www.zopyx.com - Email: info at zopyx.com - Phone +49 - 7071 - 793376