[Zope-dev] Re: ZClassNG proposal makes Archetypes Easy.

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon Apr 23 06:57:25 EDT 2007

Chris Withers wrote:

> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Plone development with Archetypes is not painful. Hundreds of developers
>> do it, so it can't be that bad.
>
> Urm, that's not true. Archetypes is the single most painful component to
> use from Plone...
>
> It's also the biggest source of frustration I have with Plone.

Okay. Let me rephrase. Most people don't find it painful, and a huge number
of developers are being very productive with Archetypes. I know you hate it
Chris, but you are in the minority.

In any case, you may be interested to see some experiments we've been doing
with using formlib and Zope3-like content types, not using Archetypes. See
http://dev.plone.org/plone/browser/plone.app.content/trunk/plone/app/content/basecontent.txt.
It won't be a full alternative to Archetypes for a while, because AT
provides functionality that doesn't (yet) have any equivalent outside AT,
but for simple things it may be worth exploring.

Martin