[Zope-dev] Re: ZClassNG proposal makes Archetypes Easy.

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Mon Apr 23 07:04:35 EDT 2007

--On 23. April 2007 03:57:25 -0700 Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
>>
>> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>>> Plone development with Archetypes is not painful. Hundreds of
>>> developers  do it, so it can't be that bad.
>>
>> Urm, that's not true. Archetypes is the single most painful component to
>> use from Plone...
>>
>> It's also the biggest source of frustration I have with Plone.
>>

> Okay. Let me rephrase. Most people don't find it painful, and a huge
> number of developers are being very productive with Archetypes. I know
> you hate it Chris, but you are in the minority.

I have to second that. The latest versions of AT are pretty much stable and
usable. AT is no longer the PITA framework it was some years ago - as long
as you don't look under the hood and as long as you don't try to be tricky.
AT works fine if you use it the 'standard' way - however it slaps you when
you're trying to be smarter than AT.

Using Z3-schemas + formlib is definitely the preferred way to go. We got a
basic content-type working for a customer based on z3-schema/formlib within
half a day (without having any knowledge in Z3 schemas and formlib).

-aj