[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope 2.11] Stepping forward and going beta

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Thu Dec 27 18:29:58 EST 2007

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> Andreas Jung wrote:
>
> The only thing I'm going to do if no one objects is to deprecate calling
> the ViewPageTemplateFile in Five without passing in the view. This
> should at least allow us to merge the aq-branch without any problems for
> Zope 2.13 if noone can think of a way around the problem.

I tried to implement this, but stumbled over too many places where code
is not complying to interfaces and thus passing in an argument breaks code.

For example the IContentProvider interface requires the render method to
be "def render(*args, **kwargs)". Almost no viewlet is complying to this
starting with the base viewlet manager
zope.viewlet.manager.ViewletManagerBase which accepts no arguments.
Passing in the view to the render method therefor doesn't work (render
is often directly the template).

As a result I have abandoned this plan as well. Maybe someone can think
of a different solution for merging or going forward with the
aq_vs_parent branch.

Hanno