[Zope-dev] anon http svn access status?

sean.upton at uniontrib.com sean.upton at uniontrib.com
Wed Mar 7 15:32:03 EST 2007

> So: will anon http svn access happen?

I'm late to this round of the discussion, but +1.  I would suggest
https, though, to make it firewall-friendly.

Even if this is an anonymous mirror (sounds more likely), it would make
sense for community bundle builders (e.g. Plone bundles) to use https
URLs for everything, which supposes upstream can provide https.

Neither http, svnserve, or svn+ssh are friendly to corporate firewalls -
only https (where the firewall can't see the http method verbs because
they are inside a TLS session).  I've griped about this before:
http://www.mostscript.com/weblog/?p=26

Today, I have to put in requests to my company network admins to open up
to svn.zope.org:3690 out on a workstation by workstation basis.  Their
firewall can do a generic TCP socket proxy (network security folks want
to run an app-level proxy, so we can only set this up one source IP at a
time), and doesn't deal with DeltaV DAV verbs over plain-old http - so
https is the only reasonable option for anonymous checkouts.

Thanks,
Sean

 Sean Upton                              SignOnSanDiego.com
 Site Technology Supervisor     The San Diego Union-Tribune
 619.718.5241                 sean.upton at signonsandiego.com
 350 Camino De La Reina                 San Diego, CA 92108

  Plone Powered!  plone.org  ++  python.org  ++  zope.org