[Zope-dev] zope.browser?

Robert Niederreiter rnix at squarewave.at
Thu Dec 11 12:41:50 EST 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 11.12.2008, 18:18 +0100 schrieb Martijn Faassen:
> Hi there,
>
> Robert Niederreiter wrote:
> [snip]
> > We have written browser helper tools in a package named
> > cornerstone.browser. especially IRequestMixin here
> >
> > http://dev.plone.org/collective/browser/cornerstone.browser/trunk/cornerstone/browser/interfaces.py
> >
> > might be a candidate for this or such a component.
>
> While this is certainly an interesting package, I think the idea behind
> zope.browser is to keep dependencies to an absolute minimum. I'm not
> sure I see the point of just putting the *interface* "IRequestMixin" in
> zope.browser, and the implementation would almost certainly pull in more
> dependencies, right?
It would be possible to strip the implementation dependencies down to
zope.interface and zope.component if IAbsoluteUrl (iirc) is moved as
well and the ICookiePrefix default implementation returns something
static.

> (by the way, an interface called 'Mixin'? Isn't the
> mixin nature a property of a class, not an interface?)
Yes ;), the naming is not the best choice. The intention was to hint the
reader how an implementation of this interface is supposed to be used.

> I think we should be careful not to introduce more functionality into
> zope.browser right now that isn't moved from some other zope.* package.
> The goal after all, as I understand it, is to reduce installation
> dependencies.
you queried ideas. right?

regards, robert

> Regards,
>
> Martijn

Robert Niederreiter
IT-Architecture & Engineering
Aflingerstraße 7
A-6176 Völs
+43 699 160 20 192
+43 512 89 00 77

Squarewave Computing         WEB APPLICATIONS,  ZOPE,  PLONE, HOSTING
BlueDynamics Alliance        production: concept, development, design
http://squarewave.at         consulting: analysis, coaching, training
http://bluedynamics.com      management: projects, process, community