AW: [Zope-dev] buildout 'versions' and 'develop' conflict

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Sat Feb 23 11:55:53 EST 2008

Hi all

> Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] buildout 'versions' and 'develop' conflict

[...]

> I don't think this is a matter of implicit versus explicit,
> because there are two explicit configurations: one explicit
> 'version', and one explicit 'develop'.
> I think the question is about what to choose between two
> explicit configurations that are potentially conflicting.
>
> There can be arguments for giving priority on one of them.
> Maybe the best thing here would be to just warn the user (in
> stdout) about the conflict. Buildout should tell him that
> either the specified version won't be used, or the
> develop-egg won't be used.

For me it's simple, I like to define develop packages
and I'm confused if this eggs are not used. I never develop
on different versions? Does anybody need to develop on
versions? If so this is the only reason why version
should affect develop configuration.

I really don't understand what development has to do with
versions at all. If I develop a egg, I link then into the
develop folder because I need that egg as a new develop dependency
because it offers a new version which is not availble in any version
or somewhere except in the repository.

Add additional configuration into the buildout is just overhead.

Can somebody give me a use-case why version should have more priority
then explicit linked in develop eggs?

And if it comes to explicit over implicit. I explicit define
a develop egg for development and it implicit uses the KGS
defined as a default configuration. There is no explicit
version which I define in the develoment process. Versions are
just there or not.

This means explicit develop egg links get overriden by implicit
version definitions. I think that's the only thing which we get
confused and discuss this topic now. right?

Or are I'm wrong?

Hm, or do we have different point of views here and we argument in a
different context. Is there a different point of preferred behavoir
if we develop OR setup an application based on builldout?

My argumentation is only based on the development point of view.
I'm not sure if this will affect an application setup for production
use. I'm also not sure what Jim means with "Ubuntu and system Python".

but anyway,
I'm fine with version over develop. It's just another thing
you have to know for sucessfull development. I guess my brain has some
little space for remember such tweaks in buildout ;-)

Regards
Roger Ineichen