[Zope-dev] Product version number redundancy with version.txt and setup.py

Tim Hicks tim at sitefusion.co.uk
Mon Jul 7 16:21:42 EDT 2008

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that there is a duplication of information in
having an eggified product's version number stored in setup.py and
version.txt?

Both seem to be necessary - the first for use with pypi and the second
so that Zope knows what version of a product it has.  The former seems
more like it should be the preferred single place for this information.
  Does anyone have any ideas about how we might update Zope to read
version information from setup.py instead?

The initializeProduct function at
<http://svn.zope.org/Zope/trunk/lib/python/App/Product.py?rev=73460&view=auto>
seems to be the relevant place.  However, I'm not sure if that code has
access to the full eggy package at that stage.  My guess is that the
relevant object (productp?) might already have been adjusted for
backward compatibility reasons at that stage.

Any ideas?

Tim