[Zope-dev] Re: Product version number redundancy with version.txt and setup.py

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Mon Jul 7 16:39:16 EDT 2008

Tim Hicks wrote:
> Am I right in thinking that there is a duplication of information in
> having an eggified product's version number stored in setup.py and
> version.txt?

Having your setup.py read its version from version.txt is easy, if you
don't want to update two places.

I think the more interesting question is, why we need a persistent
registry of installed products and any information about them at all
anymore?

Having the product registry persistent causes quite some trouble when
moving Data.fs across servers and doesn't seem to add much to any benefit.

For what kind of use-case do people use that registry nowadays, since we
got rid of persistent products?

Hanno